TAKE ACTION: The U.S. Senate is expected to vote shortly after Thanksgiving on President Trump’s tax scam to help the rich. We urge each and every union brother and sister to make a quick call to their Senator and urge them to vote NO on the tax plan by clicking HERE.
Republicans in Congress have proposed a tax plan that favors corporations and the top 1% over working people. This tax scam raises taxes for millions of working families while Wall Street, private jet owners and the uber-rich make out like bandits.
How the Republican Senate Tax Bill is Bad for Working Americans
- Tax Breaks for Outsourcing. This plan reduces the tax rate on offshore profits to zero, giving corporations even more incentive to ship American jobs offshore. If it passes, working people could see our jobs sent overseas—and we will have to pay more in taxes
- Cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. The GOP budget pays for tax cuts for the wealthy in part with drastic cuts to Medicaid and Medicare.
- Raise Taxes for Families Earning $10,000 to $75,000. According to a report released by the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Senate bill would raise taxes on American families earning between $10,000 to $75,000 while at the same time giving large tax cuts to the rich.
- Increases Burden on Students and Those with High Medical Bills. The tax plan eliminates deductions for medical expenses, meaning millions of Americans with high medical costs would face higher taxes. And it eliminates tax breaks for student loan interest, tuition expenses, and tuition reductions, making it harder for working-class students to further their education.
- The GOP bill Hurts Union Members. Corporations can deduct big payments to union-busting lawyers to circumvent the freedom of workers, but union members can no longer deduct their union dues under this bill.
- Repeal Deductions for State and Local Income Tax. The GOP tax bill would remove the much-needed deduction for state and local income taxes.
CLICK HERE to call your U.S. Senators and lend your voice to the effort to stop Trump’s tax scam to help the wealthy and demand that Congress put working people first.