This Friday, March 9th, we will shed a light on the one year anniversary of one the darkest times in Wisconsin state history. Join us as we hold candlelight vigils across the state and remember when Gov. Scott Walker illegally rammed his union busting bill through the legislature in the dead of night.
Acting under the cover of darkness, Gov. Walker wanted to silence the voices of working people and give his corporate cronies unchecked influence over policies that affect the lives of Wisconsinites. Unfortunately for him, his attacks only strengthened the bonds between the people of Wisconsin and kicked off a grassroots movement that continues to this day.
From La Crosse to Milwaukee to Wausau and beyond, communities in every part of the state will come together to host these vigils. Use this map to find the event closest to you.
We want to feature the faces and stories of the communities who have banded together in this movement to Reclaim Wisconsin. Use the hash tag #ReclaimWI for tweets and send your pictures and videos from your local candlelight vigil to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow this link to see pictures from across the state, and keep yours coming.
Whether you’re in Racine or River Falls or anywhere in between, Wisconsin is standing together. We’re looking forward to seeing, and sharing, all the great photos and video clips you send in.
(And we’re also looking forward to plenty more when we all meet in Madison to Reclaim Wisconsin this Saturday.)
Here's a quick list again of all the vigils:
- La Crosse: Green Island Park, 2312 7th Street S, 6pm
- Eau Claire: Phoenix Park, 6pm (Facebook event)
- Racine: Monument Square, 500 S Main Street, 6pm (Facebook info)
- Milwaukee: Milwauke County Courthouse, 901 North 9th Street (Wells Street Side), 6pm (Facebook event)
- Madison: State Capitol, 6pm
- Wausau: 400 Block Square, Downtown Wausau, 6pm
- Wautoma: World War II Memorial Building, 440 West Main Street, 7pm
- Mequon: Mequon City Hall, 11333 N Cedarburg Road, 6pm
- River Falls: Veteran's Park, 1 N Main Street, 6pm
- Appleton: Houdini Park, 100 W Laurence Street, 6pm (Facebook event)
- Oshkosh: Opera Square, 6:30pm (Facebook event)